What is the future of rugby in Greece?

A nice article in French published by Le petit journal. For Greek rugby fan, you will easily recognize Henry-Marc one of most dedicated figure in Greek rugby history. Thanks for what your already did and keep up the good work. We need you Henry-Marc, Greek rugby need you.

8 Responses to “What is the future of rugby in Greece?”

1. 1 rugby fan Sep 17th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

everything starts at the head!!!!

if you people have some people in postions that govern the course of rugby in a negative way ,so its easy to understand the outcome .the “head” = president of the federation!!!!!!!!!!

2. 2 Kostas Oct 3rd, 2007 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been a rugby fan since 1999 when i saw new zeland vs England in the world cup (Lomu in particular). I’ve tried to stay up to date with the sport but its the first time i heard about a greek national team or a greek rugby league.Too bad there is no promotion of the sport in greece.

3. 3 X-pat Oct 13th, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Can an ex-pat play for the Greek team? I notice that in Malta…the team plays ex-pats from England, Japan has at least two players with English names, and although I believe Samoans have often fed the New zealand team….it seems that the Greek team has a problem. I’ve met many great x-pat players in Greece, but none who had a trial for the national team.

Greek rugby has enough problems without restricting the membership of the national team, at a time when the rest of the world takes advantage of x-pats.

4. 4 Pascal Oct 13th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

well up to now, you need Greek citizenship.

5. 5 Lefteris Dec 17th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

i am greek and i live in greece!do u know any sites of ragby teams in greece?especially in athens…i like rugby a lot and i am interesting in joining a club in greece…

6. 6 Pascal Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:55 pm

3 teams in Athens:
    - Springboks
    - Athens RFC
    - Spartans RFC

Check the TEAM section.

7. 7 George Koulpanis Aug 28th, 2008 at 11:20 pm

I want to play rugby in Greece. I’m currwntly playing rugby for a club in South Africa. What do I need to do to play in Greece?

8. 8 George Macpherson Jan 10th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

From 9 clubs we have now by the end of this year we would have another 1 team so Greece will have 10 teams and by the end of the next we will have 12 teams then 2012 14 teams and by the end of the daceade there will hopefully be 22 teams with 1 new team per year there will hofully be two divisions on with 12 and the second with 10 and probably by the end cf 2020 there will be an additional 13 clubs in 10 years and average of 1.3 or 1 and 1/3 teams per year but is we can get an extra 2 clubs qiuckly we will have a chance of having 24 teams in Greece with wo divisions of 12 so to me that is what should happen to introduce more people playing and watching the game as well as Rugby League and Cricket.